Health Insurance for the UK

Health insurance is very important factor for international students if they want to live in the UK .

The international students have been in the UK increased rapidly over the past years, and growing continuously day by day.

United Kingdom is home to the famous health system also known as the National Health Service (NHS).

As of September 2019, there were a total of 276,889 Tier 4 (sponsored study) visas granted in the UK, the highest it has ever been ever since 2011.

Do International students need Health Insurance to study in the UK?

If you are an International coming to the UK,then obviously yes ,you need health insurance.

More specifically, you can access the National Health Service (NHS) as an international student in the UK, only if your study programme is 6 months or longer. If otherwise, then you should opt for a private insurance company. The same goes if you are a student visitor, you should still take out private health insurance.

Why is Health Insurance important for international students in the UK?

Firstly, having health insurance means you can gain access to high-quality service in hospitals, private offices, emergency rooms, and more. You won’t have to worry about the medical bills in case anything occurs, therefore you will enjoy a more comfortable stay while in the UK.

In addition, health insurance is one of the main requirements when applying for a visa, not only in the UK, but anywhere. Therefore, it is essential to obtain health insurance, be it from NHS or any other private provider.

International students are not the only ones who need health insurance, the service is available to residents as well. However, one of the reasons health insurance is specifically important to international students is because it ensures students won’t have to worry about medical costs while they are away from their home country and family.

What does the National Health Service (NHS) cover for international students in the UK?

The National Health Service, as previously mentioned, is one of the most popular health insurance services in the world. International students can also gain access to NHS, only if their study programme is 6 month or longer. Otherwise, they will have to check for other private insurance services. The National Health Service covers a large number of benefits, more specifically, you will be receiving the same services as UK residents. NHS offers free GP (General Practitioner) visits, office visits, emergency treatment, psychiatric treatment, and more. See below:

Will I be charged for prescription medication?

Although Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland do not charge for prescriptions; in England they might ask you to pay. However, you are entitled to free prescriptions if:

  • You are under 16 years of age.
  • You are 16-18 and studying full-time.
  • You are pregnant, have had a baby in the previous 12 months, and have a valid maternity exemption certificate, MatEx.
  • You have a continuing physical ability that prevents unassisted movement and have a medical exemption certificate, MedEx.
  • You have a specified medical condition and MedEx.

Will I be charged for dental care?

Dental care is usually not included in the Health Insurance. However, if the criteria below applies to you, then you will have access to free NHS dental care:

  • You are under 18, or under 19 and studying full-time.
  • You are pregnant or have had a baby in the previous 12 months.
  • You are staying in an NHS hospital and the dentist in the hospital carries out the treatment.

Still confused?

We, at Dream Catcher Education CONSULTANCY, are happy to help you with any kind of inquiries or questions regarding Health Insurance of Germany at our office from time to time. You can speak with us directly and ask all your queries on course selection, application procedures, fee waivers, offer acceptance, tuition fees, scholarships and internships, and life on/off-campus.

You can always call or email us. We are always here to help you.